Tofu was discovered in China more than 2,000 years
ago and was one of the most important foods in the
soy bean family. Tofu is now widely available in America.
It is becoming an indispenable ingredient in many
Tofu is extremely low in calories, saturated fats, carbohydrates, is free of cholesteral and is an economical source of protein in a vegetarian diet. It is very quick to prepare and easy to use. It is natural, inexpensive and can offer a simple solution for the world's critical food requirements.
Instead of buying tofu, you can just as easily make it at home. Once you have your soy milk cooked and still hot, you are about 10 minutes from making hot, delicious and organic tofu. Following is one of the simple ways to make tofu from our Organic Homemade Soy Milk recipe. Click here to view the soy milk recipe.
- Soy milk is ready and still hot, from 3 cups of dried organic soy beans.
- Dilute 2 or 2½ teaspoons of epsom salt as tofu coagulator in 1 ½ cup of warm water.
- Pour 1 ¼ cups of epsom saltsolution into the still hot soy milk. Stir soymilk in a clockwise direction. Let it stand for 4 or 5 minutes.
- If you see soymilk curded similar to the below picture, then don't pour the rest of epsom salt solution. If you still see some milk, add the remaining cup.
- Pour the mixture into the basket with cheesecloth.
- Wrap the cheesecloth and put another basket or something to press the tofu mixture.
- Tofu will be ready in about 5-10 minutes and can be cut as in the following picture for later use. This is the best time to taste this delicious tofu, especially with a little bit of salt and black pepper.
Variations and comments
Read this recipe in Aulacese
- You can also use lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, vinegar, calcium sulfate(gypsum), or natural nigari salt as tofu coagulator.
|Lemon juice||Apple cider|
- Lemon juice and vinegar will yield a bit of sour taste. In the USA, Canada and Europe, Epson salt is available at most of the drug stores. Meanwhile calcium sulfate(gypsum) may be found at the Chinese grocery stores but natural nigari salt, a popular ingredient to make tofu in Japan, is hard to find in America. Just a few on-lines stores offer to sell calcium sulfate and nigari salt.
Back to Main